mate-panel memory usage
z***@gmx.de
2016-02-21 12:43:42 UTC
Hi all,
I am new to Mate and I have to say it looks really promising.
Nevertheless the systen monitor reports around 200MB memory usage for
the panel (including the applets). I have to say I am very surprised
that a simple clock applet takes more than 30MB RAM, all the other
applets (I dont use that much: Menu, Window List, Clock, Workspace
Switcher, Notification area with volume applet, batstat, sticky notes
and shutdown).
So my question: Is this high memory usage really normal/intended? I come
from cairo-dock which only needed 70MB for the same setup.

Kind regards
Fabian Harfert
2016-02-22 07:09:58 UTC
On Sun, 21 Feb 2016 13:43:42 +0100
***@gmx.de wrotes:

Hello!
Post by z***@gmx.de
Hi all,
I am new to Mate and I have to say it looks really promising.
Welcome to MATE then!
Post by z***@gmx.de
Nevertheless the systen monitor reports around 200MB memory usage for
the panel (including the applets). I have to say I am very surprised
that a simple clock applet takes more than 30MB RAM, all the other
applets (I dont use that much: Menu, Window List, Clock, Workspace
Switcher, Notification area with volume applet, batstat, sticky notes
and shutdown).
So my question: Is this high memory usage really normal/intended? I
come from cairo-dock which only needed 70MB for the same setup.
No, unfortunately you are right. For me it's the same problem. Of
course the clock applet isn't that simple it looks like: It handles
time zones, weather information and a calendar, too. But I agree: 30MB
of RAM are too much.

I think the code of MATE is not very clear and could be much simpler at
several points. I think the problem is that it's so much old code from
GNOME 2 times, that is difficult to maintain.

But other desktop environments have the same problems, and nowadays,
MATE is one of the desktop with the lowest memory usage. I runs just
fine on my Raspberry Pi.
Post by z***@gmx.de
Kind regards
Fabian